Tuesday 22 January 2013

SCMM 2013: An opportunity that was missed

We never knew when the race started, as all of us were expecting a line-up at the start. As we got to the gate after the pre-race warm up, it was very crowded, and runners were getting to go out. All of us joined the crowd and raced to the start line, by which time, the start line had already been opened, and people were running past it.

While that separated myself and Bobby from the rest of the group, the others were running together about twenty metres behind. My first priorities were to get the Garmin HRM going (I am not sure why I wanted all that HR data in the first place). Everytime, I did a scan, the Garmin would pick up  many HR monitors in the range, and would not lock to the one I was wearing (which was borrowed, thanks to my good friend Murthy, who was also running the race). Finally, I had to go a little bit wide off the course, and away from the runners to get it going. Till this time, it was status quo, with Bobby and myself running together, with the rest of the group following about twenty metres behind.

As I was tuned to the idea of running along with the group, I let slowed down, let them pass and joined the paceline. The group had coach Pani sir, Brojen, Brijesh, Bharath, Murthy and now myself. Each of us were taking turns leading the group, setting the pace for every km.

The first separation from the group came at Peddar road downhills. Being a fan of downhills, I let myself roll the legs, and was more than fifty metres ahead of the group.  Shortly ahead, I took a short walk-break for the group to catch up. (I use walk-breaks regularly on my long runs, to rest the running muscles for a small time, before picking up and running again).

All was well until the 12th km, when I felt I need to take a loo-break. As luck would have it, a portable toilet was just around the corner, and I quickly got off from the group. After I quickly *did it*, I got back and started running. When my Garmin beeped at the next km, I would realize that I have lost 80 seconds, thanks to my little break.

After a quick calculation, I figured that I could catch up with the group at 21st km. (My target pace was 5:00/km while the groups was 5:10/km, which gave me a 10 seconds advantage). I ran the next few kilometres at exactly my target pace 5:00 +-1sec. Just before taking the Bandra-Worli sea link, I would cross Sandeep, who I had met two weeks earlier at RFL's fortnightly run.

As I reached the Worli-Bandra Sea Link, there was another runner from Bangalore. I would pass by Pankaj Rai on the bridge, while catching up with Bhasker Sharma was little tougher and meant more work. I didn't mind the extra pace as I was running faster to catch up with my group. All this time, my goal shifted from maintaining my race/target pace to chasing the group.

Finally at the 24th km, I was behind the group by about thirty metres, and I felt a sharp shooting pain in the left hamstring. My nemesis and my dear friend, the cramps would catch me. Not wanting to lose time, I quickly took a pinch of salt from the packet I was carrying, and walked as fast as I can, almost doing a 8 minute walking pace. Onlookers should have been surprised at why I was walking instead of running. A few minutes later, I was running back to normal, albeit at a reduced pace. Now, my goal shifted from chasing the group to covering the next 18kms with minimal damage to my target. 

During this time, a lot of people passed me, including Bhasker Sharma, Kieren D'Souza (Ultra 100 finisher), and Paripurn. As I got back full throttle on my feet again, I kept chasing Bhasker.

At the 30th km, as I cross, Murthy who had been caught with my dear friend cramps, gave me a shout. Surprised I turned back, and gave him the pack of salt I had. I was in two minds as that was the only pack I had. Though not much was left, it might have carried me to the finish line. Chasing down Bhasker, I took Enerzal wherever they were offering while continuing at the target pace.

Strangely I felt a little tired, when I was crossing the foot-overbridge, at which point of time, I still had 8 more kms to go. Pedder Road climb was a struggle, as I would lean forward and increase the Cadence, I also saw the pace drop to 10kmph. I caught up with one of the runners running ahead and chat with him. Luckily, he gave me a salt tablet which I took at the next water stop. 

It was a pity that I could not make full use of the downhill. I could swing my legs completely. 

The next few kms were a struggle as neither water nor enerzal was available anywhere along the course. (All of it had been emptied by the half-marathoners).

I got a sigh of relief as I was 40.6km on my Garmin and exclaimed only one more mile to go.

As I crossed the 1000 metres to go, there was huge relief. Just when I thought I could sprint to the finish line, my dear friend Cramp reminded his presence.

I took a quick walk break, and then ran close to my target pace, but slowly and steadily to the finish line, to finish with a time of 3:38:30.

Naturally, I am a little disappointed that I could not finish the race strongly. Given that I had 18 more kms to cover, when I got the cramps, the damage isn't significant.

As I went over the splits, this is what I found. The 10kms leading to the cramps were the fastest 10K I ran in the race at 49:10. Maybe, that'll help me look in a different direction, than mineral salts.

As for SCMM 2013, the race was superbly organized. There was wonderful people support from Mumbaikars all through the course. The route was excellent, Marine Drive and Sea Link in particular. The weather, amazing. There wasn't better that I could ask for.

There were some things that could have been better, like the how the race started, and water/refreshments along the course in the last few kilometres. By far, this would be the best race to be organized in India. Hyderabad might come a little closer, but crowd supports pulls in big points for Mumbai.

The story of my good friend Cramp is too long to be covered now. Stay tuned, to find out more.

1 comment:

  1. Uday,

    congratulations buddy. i know how do you feel, however 3.38.30 for FM is a good timing (at least for me, hehe). All the best for your next one, great going.

    ReplyDelete